To link a payment method:
- Navigate here on web or select Settings > Linked Accounts on mobile
- Select Link a New Account (debit card only)
- Select the type of account you want to link
- Follow the instructions to complete verification depending on the type of account being linked:
Most banks can be linked instantly and securely by providing your online banking username and password when requested. Additional security questions (as well as a PIN) may be required as well depending on your bank's security procedures.
Once completed, your bank account will be instantly linked and available to use.
Alternatively, you may select 'Other Bank' from the list to use a deposit verification process. Note that this process generally takes 2-3 business days to complete. If 'Other bank' is selected, you will be prompted for your bank's routing number, your bank account number, and the name on the bank account, as well as the type of account being linked (Checking or Savings).
The name on the linked bank account must match the verified name on your Coinbase account.
The deposit verification procedure will initiate two small test deposits to your account.
Only enter "cent" portion of the amounts. For example if the amounts on your bank statement are $1.10 and $1.20, enter:
Your bank account is now verified and you can initiate your first buy. You can also use your linked bank account to receive proceeds from Sell orders or withdrawals from your USD Wallet.
Note: Coinbase no longer supports linking new credit cards and some card issuers are blocking digital currency purchases with existing credit cards. We encourage affected customers to switch to a debit card or linked bank account instead.
Note: If you have a credit card linked already, your bank may charge additional fees for Coinbase credit card purchases. To avoid these fees, switch to debit card or bank account.
Visa and MasterCard debit cards can be used to buy using Coinbase. Note that we're unable to support prepaid cards or other cards without an associated billing address.
In most cases, photo ID verification is required before adding a card.
From the Link a New Account dialog:
- Provide your card information
- Two small, temporary debits will be applied to your card
- View your card online banking statement to find the two amounts
- Enter only the "cent" portion of the amounts to complete verification
You can now make a purchase by selecting your card on the payment methods menu on the Buy page.
Note that is not possible to sell digital currency and have the proceeds deposited to a card.
**Coinbase previously allowed for instant buys using a bank account with a verified backup credit card, but this feature is no longer supported.
Wire deposits into Coinbase
Coinbase can only accept wires if:
- The name on the bank wire matches the legal name on your Coinbase account AND
- The wire is sent from a US-based bank account AND
- Your unique reference code is included with the wire deposit
Wire deposits are available to customers who have completed sufficient account verifications to obtain a USD wallet.
To deposit using a bank wire:
- Select the Accounts tab
- Select your USD wallet
- Click on the "Deposit" button
- Make sure to select "Wire Transfer" from the "Pay in Method" menu
- Use the information displayed to initiate a Wire transfer denominated in USD from your bank account.
After the deposit has cleared, the funds will be available in your Coinbase USD Wallet.
Wire withdrawals from Coinbase
Wire withdrawals are available for amounts of $25,000 or more. Once you complete the verification steps to activate a USD Wallet and verify your wire withdrawal information, you can withdraw funds from your USD Wallet via bank wire.
To verify your wire withdrawal information, follow this link and click "+Add Wire Withdrawal Information". Follow the prompts to enter the wire details provided by your bank and your bank will be added successfully.
Once your wire information has been added, to withdraw via bank wire:
- Select your USD wallet - located on the left side menu of the Accounts page.
- Click on the "Withdraw" button.
- Make sure to select bank wire for the "To" field.
- Confirm the amount and select "Withdraw".
Wired funds will typically appear in your account within 2-3 business days.